Chapter 4.4.2 - all_adr Jurisdiction Determination
Avalara Communications provides the all_adr.txt file to help you identify the proper PCode for the taxing jurisdiction.
- Updated monthly with the latest jurisdictions, PCodes, and Postal Code ranges
- Contains all valid PCodes
- File download available from the Customer Portal Downloads page
- Download and open the .zip folder related to your product
- all_adr.txt is available in the txt or db folder (depending on the package) within the zip folder
- Load all_adr.txt into a local database to easily search for the taxing jurisdiction and related PCode
The all_adr.txt file is a comma-delimited ASCII file with the following columns:
- Primary flag
0: Alternate jurisdiction
1: Primary jurisdiction
- City or local jurisdiction (such as a Special Tax Jurisdiction)
- Postal Code range start
- Postal Code range end
3346800,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,BART,17503,17503 3346900,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,BAUSMAN,17504,17504 3347000,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,BIRD IN HAND,17505,17505 3347100,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,BOWMANSVILLE,17507,17507 3347200,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,CHRISTIANA,17509,17509 3347300,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,CHURCHTOWN,17555,17555 3347400,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,CONESTOGA,17516,17516 3347500,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,DRUMORE,17518,17518 3347600,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,EAST EARL,17519,17519 3347700,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,ELM,17521,17521 3347800,0,USA,PA,LANCASTER,GAP,17527,17527
Search the all_adr.txt file for the taxing jurisdiction with as much detail as possible. For example, search all_adr for some of these strings to find a PCode:
- ,Los Angeles,
Use the PCode associated with the taxing jurisdiction once it is located.
If searching the comma-delimited file instead of a database table, it helps to include the commas to avoid finding a PCode instead of a Postal Code, for example. When searching just for a Postal Code, consider that the Postal Code may be contained within a range and may not be listed separately.